April 18, 2019, 08:22:43 PM

Author Topic: Howdy Folks  (Read 165 times)

Duckie

Howdy Folks
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
Hey there Iím Howard or ďduckieĒ (yes because of that damn movie)

A little background on myself, I have never played any flight sims whatsoever which I guess is odd since I have always been fascinated by aircraft, mainly my sim hobbies have been in race cars starting over 12 years ago. Well I guess the time has come where I want to master another genre in flight and air combat. I have prior experience in military simulation but as said before this will be my first venture into flight.

So a few questions are

- is there any avenue for a greenhorn like me within the unit?
- if so what is the best way to get started (gear needed, necessary software etc)

CDR J. "Saint" Wolfe

• 8670 Squadron Commanding Officer
  • VFA-103 Jolly Rogers
Re: Howdy Folks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
Howdy Duckie,

We allow any and all pilots of any skill level in this unit. We don't ask that you become the perfect pilot by any means, but rather that you give your 100% when you're learning and attempting to better yourself as a pilot. So Greenhorns of all kind are welcome, so long as they give the effort!

Second, I heavily recommend TrackIR as it will help immensely with your situational awareness, and I also recommend a HOTAS of nearly any kind if you can swing it. Most of the high-end ones are expensive but in this scene, you get your money's worth for the product.

Let us know if you have any other questions! Great to meet you
COMMANDER JAKE "SAINT" WOLFE
Victory 200 / Deputy Commander, Air Group
STRKFITRON ONE ZERO THREE, CVW-3

Duckie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:34 AM »
Sounds great, Iíve been researching different HOTAS kits Iíll probably end up going for the Thrustmaster a10 on finances allow. I have had good luck with their sim racing gear in the past. I do have an Oculus Rift for VR/Head Tracking. Iíll try to get into your voip server this weekend. I work out of state so Iím usually only home on occasion.

-Duckie

Capt P. "Papa" Standley

• 7523 Pilot, F/A-18 Qualified
  • VMFA-212 Lancers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:37:05 AM »
Duckie,
   About 7 months ago now, I was in your same shoes.  Saint, Ice and the whole strike group basically spent countless hours with me teaching me the basics.  They watched me crash dozens of times before it finally clicked.  Within 2 months, I was transferred out of VT-10 into VFA 103.  The F/A-18 is a fantastic aircraft to learn on. Unlike many other airframes in DCS, I feel as though the Hornet is the most forgiving and easiest to fly.  We also have an entire Squadron (VFA-154) dedicated to the soon to be released F14.  If you decide to join us and need help, we have several instructor pilots always willing to help.  All you ever really need to do is post in Discord and almost without fail, you can find someone to fly with within a few minutes. Solid bunch of mature folks here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:39:37 AM by LT P. "Papa" Standley »
CAPTAIN PATRIC "PAPA" STANDLEY
Lancer 404
Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 212, CVW-3